April 12, 2014

Overcoming Fear and Anxiety

We all have fears and anxieties. Some are worse than others. Really it's how we deal with our fears and anxiety that defines us.

I had a fear of germs when I was ten. As a result, I washed my hands until they were raw. Lotion didn't help because I'd scrub it off my hands only a short time later. I realized I had to stop washing my hands so often. Over time, my hands healed. I couldn't let fear and anxiety rule my life and ruin my god-given hands. Germs wouldn't kill me. In fact, some "germs" or bacteria are healthy for our bodies. (I was so excited when I discovered hand sanitizer.)

Many of us also suffer from anxiety in the pursuit of perfection. Abraham Low says, "Perfection is a myth." We won't attain perfection in this life. We simply try to improve ourselves line upon line. In school, I had panic attacks on occasion because I didn't score as well as I wanted to. I eventually realized that grades do not define me. Now I stress to my oldest that he doesn't need to excel, but he still needs to work.

So how do we overcome fear and anxiety? (1) Express our fears and anxiety. (2) Determine if the fear is real. (3) Take active steps toward resolving that fear. (4) Seek peace from Heavenly Father.

Here's a link for spiritual help https://www.lds.org/ensign/1997/05/his-peace?lang=eng

No comments:

Post a Comment