August 07, 2014

Laundering for Three Boys

Little boys provide unique challenges to mothers who wash their sons’ clothes and linens. Boys seem to have a special scent they leave on the clothing. Oh wait! A certain reek. So the challenge is to purge the smell of boys while laundering.

I have experimented with making my own laundry soap and different brands to find what works best to remove the smell of three little boys. I have found a way to make their clothes and linens smell clean! What’s my secret? I use warm water, baking soda-based laundry detergent, and borax. The sodium carbonate and borax make it smell clean. I'm trying out vinegar in the rinse cycle now. I almost forget that my boys wore the clothes.


Sodium carbonate is super washing soda, and pool soda ash. Sodium bicarbonate is baking soda, which is edible, unlike sodium carbonate.

No comments:

Post a Comment