October 04, 2020

My Thoughts on 2020 Latter-day Saint General Conference

I crocheted part of this during April Conference


For the last two days, I have watched around eight hours of my religion’s semiannual broadcast of church leaders. Being a lifelong member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, I have listened to hundreds of hours of religious talks. At age ten, I started crocheting during conferences on the first weekends of April and October. I still crochet to keep my hands busy. I occasionally write notes.

Weekly church meetings changed in mid-March to home worship. In June, our congregation met in small groups every third Sunday. I had been wearing street clothes for home worship for so long, I hesitated to wear a dress. I used to love wearing dresses, but I dislike them now chasing after children. So, the first Sunday back at regular church, I wore a nice shirt and pants. The next time we met, I reluctantly wore a dress.

This weekend I wore pajamas and street clothes watching General Conference, but it still tested my resolve because my typical home worship only lasts 15–30 minutes on Sundays.

While watching, I noted how many of the apostles have aged. Apostle David A. Bednar had brown hair when he became an apostle sixteen years ago (right before my mission). Now he has gray hair. Several of the apostles from my youth look very different today. For example, Matthew Holland, son of Apostle Jeffrey R. Holland, appeared much like the younger version of his father from the 90s. Wow! I am old and they are old too. Mostly, wiser.

Saturday Morning Session

President Russell M. Nelson opened General Conference sharing what blessings we have had through the pandemic despite the challenges. Families feel closer as they worship together. Missionaries are teaching more lessons, many online. Latter-day Saints have participated in many pandemic-related service projects, such as making masks. President Nelson stated that Heavenly Father is aware of us during this time. Many of my Priesthood blessings of late have that same phrase in them.

Elder David A. Bednar related his scripture study of the idea of tests. The word test is nowhere in the Bible, Book of Mormon, or Doctrine and Covenants (LDS scripture), but the words provetry, and examine dot the pages. This life is our test to prove ourselves. Jesus grew incrementally in wisdom and spirituality. We can take his example of growing line upon line and grace to grace.

This talk reminds me of my college assignment to study Doctrine and Covenants 121:7 where Joseph Smith cries to God to release him from Liberty Jail. It states:

“… if fierce winds become thine enemy; if the heavens gather blackness, and all the elements combine to hedge up the way; and above all, if the very jaws of hell shall gape open the mouth wide after thee, know thou, my son, that all these things shall give thee experience, and shall be for thy good.”

I researched the etymology of experience and good for my assignment. . Thus when we are tried, we gain experience. . So, when we are tried do we seize the good?

Young Women First Counselor Michelle D. Craig discussed how we desire to be seen deeply. Vice versa, we need to see others deeply. Sister Craig shared dhow she felt prompted to stop looking at her phone when she stood in lines. While in one line, she asked an older man about his cat because he had cat food in his cart. The man shared that it was his birthday. Sister Craig wished him a happy birthday. She likened this situation to the Good Samaritan parable. Being on a phone in line is similar to the priest and others passing the injured man.

Apostle Quentin L. Cook noted how the Church is around the 200-year mark, similar to when the Nephites and Lamanites in the Book of Mormon began dividing themselves about 200 years after Jesus visited them in the Americas. We are at a pivotal moment today to stay unified in purpose. Diversity strengthens our unity. Our different cultures, races, ethnicities, etc. contribute to each other’s knowledge. He noted some of the poor past actions within the Church toward Blacks and other minorities.

2 comments:

  1. It was so wonderful. I love to read about your insights. Overall I felt hope. It's going to be hard, but if we look to Christ and let God prevail we will make it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, let God prevail. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete