November 18, 2013

Princess in Disguise

"Cinderella Looking at the Stars" by Jourden C


I can see it in your eyes;
You’re a princess in disguise—
A princess searching for a prince
To establish a new province.

Ever since your mortal birth,
You search for him here on earth.
Just when your chances seem too slim,
Unexpectedly, you meet him.

You two seal for eternity
In the sacred temple of God.
Your souls fill with serenity
As you raise children on gospel sod.

Together you create worlds
And bring about salvation
For your many boys and girls
Settling new nations.

I bet you never knew
What could unfold from you.


During high school, I wrote this poem after seeing the animated movie Anastasia. I struggled as a teenager to see my worth as a daughter of God. Writing this poem helped me remember there was more than just the trials of teen angst. I was of divine heritage. 

The poem is quite simplistic. I read the part "your souls fill with serenity" because of children. Where's the serenity when boys chase each other in the TV room? My children fill me with peace when they are asleep.

I know some of us women never marry or are divorced. In my religion, we believe that we can still marry when we are resurrected. I look back and feel this poem lacks a woman's reality I now understand better. I wrote another poem here to reflect women's roles that we can't always control.

No comments:

Post a Comment