September 11, 2014

My Mourning Prayer on September 11, 2001

I don’t recall my morning prayer.
Did I pray for world peace?
The terrorists were seated by then,
Maybe had control.
How was the world to know?
News flashed past my ears.
Later, I understood the enormity;
Then I mourned.
Such evil! Such travesty!

The walls came tumbling down…
In more than one way.
Petty differences set aside
Now in each other we confide.
As I lay me down,
Oh God,
I pray
May this longer last
And not fade in the past.



I had just started my freshman year of college. Before I went to my writing class, I heard on the radio about the planes crashing into the World Trade Center. However, the reality didn't sink in until I saw the actual pictures on TV after class. I wrote this poem trying to sort out my feelings about the disaster.

No comments:

Post a Comment