January 23, 2014

Companions

The word companion derives from two Latin words com + panis  or English with + bread.  English adopted this word from classical French compagnon which literally means bread fellow, messmate (see www.etymonline.com under companion).

I know Spanish at an intermediate level so I knew that the word must mean who you eat bread with. This had a powerful meaning on my mission because I had my mission companion with me at all times. I wrote this poem while I was in the Missionary Training Center for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. This has spiritual meaning for me as illustrated in this poem:

Multitudes beg:
Break the bread.
Baskets are passed
Until 5,000 are fed.

Apostles sat down.
Christ blessed the bread
Tearing every morsel
Until Twelve were fed.

The Savior knelt down
Crushed to red.
The Savior was nailed up,
Scorned and shred.

The priests kneel down
To bless the bread.
The Holy Ghost fills
Until all are fed.

Missionaries kneel down
To bless their bread.
They sit to sup
Until both are fed.

The family sits down
Breaks the bread
Blessing every morsel
Until all are fed.


This is the Spanish translation at my intermediate level. It has definite faults. Those Spanish speakers may cringe. You may suggest grammatical changes.

Compañeros

Multitudes pidieron:
Rompa el pan.
Se pasaba las cestas
Hasta 5,000 estaban satisfechas.

Apostoles sentaron.
Cristo bendijo el pan,
Rompiendo cada pedazo
Hasta el Doce está satisfecho.

El Salvador se arrodilló
Molido en rojo.
El Salvador fue clavado,

Despreciado y roto.

Los presbiteros se arrodillan
Para bendecir el pan.
El Espíritu Santo llena
Hasta todos están satisfechos.

Misioneros se arrodillan
Para bendecir el pan.
Ellos sentan para cenar
Hasta ambos están satisfechos.

La familia senta
Rompe el pan
Bendeciendo cada pedazo
Hasta toda está satisfecha.

No comments:

Post a Comment