February 26, 2014

Act and don't be acted upon

My sister and I talked this morning about taking control for our own lives despite being a victim. Everyone has been a victim at some time, whether it be from a horrific or minor situation, but we can't remain a victim.

My mom talks frequently about a roadshow youth activity she had as a teenager. She learned to act instead of being acted upon.


I look at my mental illness and I try to remember to act, instead of being acted upon, by caring for my body, spirit, and mind to prevent episodes. When I keep up with this, I have fewer problems.


See 2 Nephi 2:26.



2 comments:

  1. I love this. Recently I got some news of the type that would be very likely to trigger some degree of depression (runs in my family). Instinctively I started forcing myself to go to sleep after I got the kiddos to bed instead of staying up and trying to get things done. When I woke up earlier as a result, I started running again and forced myself to do the household tasks in the morning that I normally put off and then regret, and as a result I didn't feel like drowning myself in junk food. In retrospect I really think Heavenly Father was reminding me to take care of myself (to act, rather than be acted upon, as you said), and it has made all the difference.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Doing those things help me too. I have lots of room to work on it :). Hope all will work out.

    ReplyDelete