September 30, 2019

Back to School

Last year I studied for the GRE and applied to two linguistics masters programs. I was disappointed when I wasn't accepted by either of the universities. Having a toddler still at home this year, the timing for graduate school would have been poor anyway.

To better my chances of being accepted, I need a higher GRE essay score and better focused letter of intent. I know having some prerequisites of two foreign languages would help my chances too.

I started Chinese 1010 and Intro to Computer Science at a local university in August to work toward some of those goals. However, I was so ill the first week, stuck in traffic for an hour four nights a week, and never saw my husband and boys. The next Monday, my head spun as I drove to class. I turned around on the next freeway exit: It was time to quit.

There had to be another solution.

My sister and others had talked about BYU Pathways and BYU-Idaho online. In mid-September, I looked into it. It was HALF the cost of the local university. Fewer classes are available, but I could still take some of the classes I needed.

Now I am in my third week of BYU-Idaho online courses. I am ready to pull my hair out some moments juggling four boys, chores, and homework, but I really want to reach my goal of a linguistics professor. I am taking Spanish 302, Introduction to TESOL, and Introduction to Programming. These classes progress toward a TESOL certificate and computer programming certificate.

This will help me create a language exchange online program for children and adults. This program would include little games for native speakers and nonnative speakers to play together based around a language concept. I would like to use it for a Master's project and thesis. I'd like to compare peer-to-peer second language acquisition versus the regular classroom versus both combined. What is the most effective manner of second language acquisition?

I am debating if I will reapply this year or next year to the local linguistics programs. (Unfortunately, there are no online linguistic programs.) It is really about timing with my children.

All just one step at a time.

1 comment:

  1. Timing is big. I think you will do wonderfully in your endeavors. I recently read something about how Elder Oaks' mom became a widow she went to get her master's and it was just too much at the time. I'm not sure if she tried again. But I know we all have things that overwhelm us and we have to simplify. I am impressed with you. You are amazing with all you do for your family and taking on school too. I love you sis.

    ReplyDelete